ANNOUNCING: The recipients of the 2016
CANADIAN MEDICAL HALL OF FAME AWARD FOR MEDICAL STUDENTS
2015 Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Award recipients with our 2016 Laureates
This Award is proudly sponsored by
Laureates of The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame cite qualities such as perseverance, collaboration and an entrepreneurial spirit as contributors to their success as national and world health leaders. Supported by our donors, The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Award seeks to recognize medical students who demonstrate these qualities and show outstanding potential as future leaders and innovators of health care in Canada.
Details regarding the 2017 Award and process will be available on March 1, 2017.
Each Canadian medical school is invited to nominate one (1) medical student completing his/her second undergraduate year of study at the time of application. Of the candidates put forth by each medical school, 2016 recipients will be chosen by the CMHF based on funding available (our goal is to source funding for 17 Awards, but we cannot confirm the number of Awards we can offer until early May).
2016 Selection Process
A selection committee appointed by the Dean of Medicine/Health Sciences will review applications and nominate one student for this Award.
The following criteria are considered by the school’s selection committee:
- Demonstrated leadership through school involvement and/or community-based volunteer projects or extracurricular activities
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Academic excellence with a demonstrated interested in advancing knowledge
- Applicants must be a member of the Canadian Medical Association
Value and Terms
Each Award has a cash value of $5,000.
Recipients also receive a complimentary ticket and complimentary economy return travel to The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, held annually in April and hosted in association with rotating medical schools across the country. The 2017 CMHF Induction Ceremony will be hosted in association with Université Laval in Quebec, QC.
The CMHF is committed to the career development of our Award recipients and will make every effort to connect them to our Laureates, board members or friends of the CMHF.
Student Application Process
Medical students in good standing completing their second year of study may apply
Application forms are available from the office of the Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education at each Canadian medical school.
The deadline for students to submit an application is May 13, 2016.
Completed application forms must be submitted to the office of the Dean for Undergraduate Medical Education at your school.
2016 APPLICATION PACKAGE
- Completed and signed Application Form (Available at all medical schools in Canada)
- A 1,000 word essay which outlines
a) Why you should be considered for this award – demonstrated leadership, academic excellence and passion about collaboration and innovative thinking in health care leadership
b) The qualities of a Laureate of The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame who inspires you to be a future leader and innovator of health care Explore our Laureates
- A focused Curriculum Vitae (maximum four pages) that demonstrates evidence of academic and leadership achievement, e.g.:
a) Academic record
b) Papers and publications
c) Awards related to leadership, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit and/or effective collaboration (peer recognition, research and academic projects)
d) Extracurricular activities in a leadership capacity
- Three letters of support – two from faculty members and one from the community (employer, coach, supervisor, mentor) Note - these letters of support are an important component in the selection process and should include sufficient information about the candidate to support the nomination
To find out more about how you can become a CMHF Award donor, please contact hsercombe [at] cdnmedhall.org (Heather Sercombe) (519.488.2003, ext. 104)
Learn more: VIEW our short video
*MD Financial Management logo used under licence by MDFM